PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 am 

Hey! Sorry for taking a couple days to get back to you.

First things first-- congrats! You found a new bug. Basically what's going on is this:

- The game tries to make it so that if you completely lose track of an item, you can get it back, either buy re-buying it or finding it at the lost and found.
- So when you re-buy your box, it effectively 'disappears' from wherever it was originally.

Believe it or not, normally this isn't a problem. If the box is on the ground, then the items that were originally in the box will just be deposited on the ground (i.e., only the box disappears, not the items in it, so you buy the same box back, empty, but not all the items.) However, nobody has yet run into this (at least, nobody has reported it) and I obviously didn't consider properly what would happen in case the shoe box was inside another container. =)

You can see the kind of mental gymnastics I have to do to keep track of all the possibile inventory combinations (e.g., what if an item you buy at a lost and found was *inside* another box, e.g., if you put a box on the ground that has your keys, and go to the lost and found and reclaim one of your keys, it will no longer be in the box when you go back, but everything else will be there. It's more complicated to keep track of than it seems like it should be, there's lots of special cases.)

Anyhow! More importantly I've attached a fixed save file and you are correct that you'll be able to get all your keys back from the lost and found (except the extra garbadge mine key, which I've put in your save file along with the watch.) Hopefully nothing else was lost when the box evaporated on you, if so let me know and I'll put it into your save file, too! Actually the watch *should* be at the lost and found, if it's not there it means I somehow accidentally removed it. It's meant to be there.

Anyhow this save file is identical to the one you posted, except the red GPS watch and the extra garbadge mine key are on the ground at Wyburns. Just copy it overtop your old savegame2.dat file and you'll be good to go (or make backup copies first if you need to.)

Thanks for buying the game, and thanks especially for taking the time to report this bug :)

Happy Texas-ing... =)

Calvin

Attachments:
154_txnca_-_fixed.zip [189.79 KiB]
Downloaded 330 times

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:37 pm 

txnca wrote:
Thank you for getting back to me. I very much appreciate the fix. This is the game that I have made the most headway in so am glad to get back to it.

Something else I meant to ask about the other day, is the fact that the "bad guys" can shoot you through walls, cabinets, etc. part of the game design? I do know that I am unable to shoot them through the walls having tried after they shot me! I can say that it definitely keeps you on your toes!

Great question. It's funny-- before I released the game it's not something I even sway. I think when you are looking at a project there are things you are just straight-up blind to, that's why you need other peoples' feedback. Unfortunately none of the main group of testers mentioned this (or, they mentioned it but I didn't pay too close attention) so it's just not something I ever addressed.

There are basically two issues here.

- Your shooting (at least with the Colt .45) is "pixel perfect". So for instance if an enemy is behind a tree, visually, you won't be able to shoot them.
- However, the game doesn't calculate a vector or line between you and your target, so e.g., if there is a wall *between* you and the enemy, you can still shoot them.

The catch however, is the "pixel perfect" doesn't apply to enemies shooting *you*, so in that sense the bandits/etc. have an advantage. If you hide behind a tree, they can still shoot you. However if you can see them, you can shoot them (assuming they are in range.)

Actually I am planning to make another game with very similar mechanics to Texas (but a much different overall structure) and I will try and adjust how this works. Not 100% sure yet how it will work but I'll definitely try and make it more strategic, e.g., so you can use things for cover.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 am 

Griever wrote:
Having the same problem - put items in second shoes box, then it dissapears :(
I'd lost colt & magic wand... Now stuck in laboratory, having rifles only... can't deal with shield guys. Not sure is it reason or not, but...

Hey Griever,

Sorry for the late reply, I was actually at GDC and then on a little holiday. This is the first time I've seen this issue, somehow having the colt .45 in the shoebox is making it invisible! Very strange :)

Fortunately it's not serious, it's only a cosmetic effect. I've attached a new .dat file you can use as your savegame if you like, but actually all I really did was click the empty space where the shoe box should be, search inside, and then dragged the colt .45 out.

Hope this helps, and thanks for reporting this bug!

Attachments:
156_-_Griever_-_fixed.zip [198.41 KiB]
Downloaded 299 times