PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm 

Ever since it started raining, trying to travel through the southern half of the map has brought about a bunch of silent crashes to the desktop.

Consistently reproducible: Warp to the western beach. Walk east to the next screen. (immediate crash)

Haven't tested more than once: Warp to the western beach. Walk north one screen (no crash), walk east one screen (immediate crash).

Haven't tested more than once: Walk south one screen below where the yellow barrier was from somewhere toward the middle of the map. (unfortunately I don't remember which map square it was. possibly one square west of the market square?)

Note that I haven't beaten Hammon yet. Also, I haven't gotten a chance to play for the past couple days so I don't remember for sure, but I believe it just started raining before I had last previously stopped.

------

Might as well also mention here, since I just discovered it: after triggering the animation once for attempting to pull the gun fit for a king from the stone, any subsequent attempts don't end up playing the animation or even triggering a text pop-up.

(And, since I'm here, kudos for the anticipating the player attempting to use TNT there. For a moment it looks like it might work!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

nobody wrote:
Ever since it started raining, trying to travel through the southern half of the map has brought about a bunch of silent crashes to the desktop.

Consistently reproducible: Warp to the western beach. Walk east to the next screen. (immediate crash)

Haven't tested more than once: Warp to the western beach. Walk north one screen (no crash), walk east one screen (immediate crash).

Haven't tested more than once: Walk south one screen below where the yellow barrier was from somewhere toward the middle of the map. (unfortunately I don't remember which map square it was. possibly one square west of the market square?)

Note that I haven't beaten Hammon yet. Also, I haven't gotten a chance to play for the past couple days so I don't remember for sure, but I believe it just started raining before I had last previously stopped.

------

Might as well also mention here, since I just discovered it: after triggering the animation once for attempting to pull the gun fit for a king from the stone, any subsequent attempts don't end up playing the animation or even triggering a text pop-up.

(And, since I'm here, kudos for the anticipating the player attempting to use TNT there. For a moment it looks like it might work!)

Thanks for the note on these. I've had a few crash reports recently and am looking into it. Question: what graphics card are you running? If possible could you email your trace.txt file from when the game crashed? It will be in the same folder as your savegame.

The animation triggering is a new bug, thanks for letting me know!

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm 

It's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT.

And unfortunately it looks like the trace file was overwritten already by my most recent play session (in which I went and found Hammon instead, but was *then* concerned that perhaps there was something buggy going on when his "in a sorry state" behavior seemed to allow for no player interaction at all, including being hurt by his kicking? I can see in the trace file this line that maybe backs up that suspicion:

! drone easystream warning: couldn't find property object for property ``evilpig_leg_live'' (near line 103: [goto_if_object] [evilpig_leg] [false] [landing_lost_leg])

)

In any case, I'll go boot up the game in a bit and try to reproduce the crashes again. I'll send along that trace file once I have it.

----------

Edit: That was quick. I started up at the top of the market square screen and just traveled directly south to the next screen (going around the square to avoid triggering the Hammon fight right now). Immediate crash during the transition to the next screen. (And, incidentally, while I could see that Hammon was back to his full healthy state again -- understandably so -- the green jello and dynamite sticks from the previous attempt were still surrounding him. Not sure if that's intended behavior or not...)

Since the trace file is so short, I'll just paste it here, if that's alright (feel free to edit it out if you'd prefer to not have the clutter, of course):

- The Real Texas
- Copyright 2009-2012 Kitty Lambda Games Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- main: initializing RN
- main: initializing SDL
- main: turning on memleak tracer
- tracer enable: all
- main: parsing commandline
- main: loading options
- main: opening starter
- main: saving options
- main: initializing file glob managers; transparent? 0
- main: setting up the replay submitter
- main: setting keyboard
- main: opening screen
- --- screen res (1024,768) fullscreen? 0
- screen open: want BPP is 32
- screen open: setting GL color sizes attributes
- setting video mode
- screen open: true aspect 1.33333
- screen open: querying GL info...
- screen open: vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
- screen open: renderer: GeForce 8600M GT/PCI/SSE2
- screen open: version: 3.3.0
- screen open: GL extensions: GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_compatibility GL_ARB_copy_buffer GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_geometry_shader4 GL_ARB_get_program_binary GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_map_buffer_range GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_robustness GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_multisample GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_array_object GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_direct_state_access GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_swizzle GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_copy_image GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_explicit_multisample GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2 GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_shader_buffer_load GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_multisample GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
- main: opening audio
- audio open: use sfx? 1, use music? 1, live? 1
- audio driver: dsound
- audio freq: 44100
- audio format: 32784
- audio channels: 2
- audio samples: 1024
- main: opening script
- set error fn id: 1
- main: opening control
- main: initialized tracking usage email to unused@example.com
- main: seed value is 1340302122
- main: setting window manager chrome
- main: preloading wav files
- --- 483 to load
- --- has vector
- --- init ticks 1471
- --- DONE!
- main: preloading image files
- --- 150 to load
- --- DONE!
- main: entering control loop
- main: io failures? 0
- main: reset flag set, initializing game and so forth
- main: shutting down music
- main: closing existing world
- main: initializing ui
- main: initializing play modes
- main: initializing world
- aurex_music open: opened music
- --- ogg file name music/yesso_-_One_Sad_Cowboys_Dream.ogg
- --- sample rate 44100
- --- audio channels 2
- playcontroller live load saveslot: saveslot is active, loading from file ``savegame1.dat''
- world open: loading gateways
- gateway map load: loaded 2042 nodes, 7044 edges
- script open area: opening ow_0_3, size 50, 50
- world open area: 0x6bcfbe8
- world open area: now has 1 areas open
- world set cur area 0x6cddd30, ow_0_3
* aurex music pop song fatal: overpopping song stack
! context process insertions fatal: unknown parent element ``buttons_weaponbox''
! context process insertions fatal: unknown parent element ``buttons_weaponbox''
- script open area: opening ow_0_4, size 50, 50
- world open area: 0x91290f0
- world open area: now has 2 areas open
- world set cur area 0x6cddd30, ow_0_4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:03 pm 

Just a quick update. First thank you for your trace info, it will be helpful! The pigleg error is not serious, that's just me being lazy in the enemy scripting code.

Good news! This is NOT some kind of weird hardware compatibility issue-- it's a definite "normal" crash. You might have some luck if you reboot your computer, but this is of course not an actual fix. It's not related to a driver issue or anything, it's just that rebooting might cause the issue that's taking place to be non fatal.

I've been able to reproduce this here, which is the main thing. I don't have it fixed yet (working on it literally at the moment) but I will likely have it fixed for the weekend update. So please hang tight and accept my apologies in the meantime!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:18 pm 

Oh, no problem at all. (Thanks for the quick reply.)

And it looks like someone over on the hint-o-matic board responded w/r/t the Hammon situation (I'll need to wait until I can go south again without crashing. Might try rebooting later tonight.)

(Though it seems like maybe a design oversight to allow the fight to trigger when there's no way to complete it yet *and* to disallow leaving the screen once the fight is triggered, even after bringing him to his harmless crawling state. Is that the only place in the game where one is forced to suicide or quit in order to continue?)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:37 pm 

nobody wrote:
Oh, no problem at all. (Thanks for the quick reply.)
(Though it seems like maybe a design oversight to allow the fight to trigger when there's no way to complete it yet *and* to disallow leaving the screen once the fight is triggered, even after bringing him to his harmless crawling state. Is that the only place in the game where one is forced to suicide or quit in order to continue?)

It is. The original design was for you to be able to leave the screen freely at any time during this battle (hah!) which I'll try and patch it back to for the next update. It resets when you come back of course. I may have locked the screen there out of desperation at getting the game finished, without realizing the consequences.

Some other things about this battle have been been changed slightly, too. =)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:32 am 

Hi nobody,

Just a quick follow-up. I'm uploading 1.2 right now, after a day of relentlessly testing it. One quick question that may solve this for me:

Are you perchance running the linux version? If not, let me know what version you are running, if possible.

I was able to reproduce it in valgrind (i.e., it doesn't crash my system but valgrind says it's doing something bad at exactly the place you mention.) The linux version is gcc 4.5 compiled, I'm going to upgrade my system so that I have gcc 4.6 which is what the windows version is compiled with. So that's one possibility right now.

When I compile the linux version without any optimization, the error disappears entirely. Based on some reading it sounds like gcc 4.5 can maybe make some bad optimization assumptions in places, I don't know. My experience as a programmer tells me blaming the compiler is basically always wrong, though.

So this is still an open issue-- but I can reproduce it, so one way or another I expect to fix it.

I had to abandon trying to fix this on Thursday as I really wanted to get this patch out, and it's taken about 2 solid days of testing to make sure it's good (famous last words.) I'll keep you up to date, I just wanted you to know it's on the radar. Possibly just compiling with gcc 4.6 will fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:31 am 

Hi Calvin,

Nope, I'm running XP SP3 with the "all my exes" version (1.1).

(And I hadn't remembered to try again after rebooting, but testing now reveals the same silent crash immediately upon travelling one screen below the market square.)

Let me know if there's anything else I could do that might be helpful.

(and no rush, especially if I'm the only one reporting this thus far. I like the game so much I'm sort of happy not to have completed playing it yet...)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:08 am 

nobody wrote:
Hi Calvin,

Nope, I'm running XP SP3 with the "all my exes" version (1.1).

(And I hadn't remembered to try again after rebooting, but testing now reveals the same silent crash immediately upon travelling one screen below the market square.)

Let me know if there's anything else I could do that might be helpful.

(and no rush, especially if I'm the only one reporting this thus far. I like the game so much I'm sort of happy not to have completed playing it yet...)

Okay, this does actually help to narrow it down. Thank you!

Just so you know this is indeed fairly high up on my list to solve as I don't believe it's a hardware issue. I might try debugging on an xp machine and see if that gets me any leads.

Thanks for your patience. I will keep you posted!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:54 am 

No problem. Just thought I'd drop in to let you know that the latest update didn't fix the situation (but I don't think you thought it would).

Let me know if there's anything I might be able to do to help. The crash is fully consistent and repeatable, so if you'd like me to try an alternate build with, for instance, the rain etc. effects disabled, I'd be up for it. Or if you'd like to send a different save file to try rule out any problems there. (I'm using a couple vases to hold a ton of things, and while I feel like that might have been slightly unintended behavior, considering how much a vase can hold, I can't imagine that would contribute to a crash like this, right?)

But also, no rush, as usual, especially if I'm the only one who's come across this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm 

nobody wrote:
No problem. Just thought I'd drop in to let you know that the latest update didn't fix the situation (but I don't think you thought it would).

Let me know if there's anything I might be able to do to help. The crash is fully consistent and repeatable, so if you'd like me to try an alternate build with, for instance, the rain etc. effects disabled, I'd be up for it. Or if you'd like to send a different save file to try rule out any problems there. (I'm using a couple vases to hold a ton of things, and while I feel like that might have been slightly unintended behavior, considering how much a vase can hold, I can't imagine that would contribute to a crash like this, right?)

But also, no rush, as usual, especially if I'm the only one who's come across this issue.

Heya, actually I hadn't considered that it could be something more "vanilla" such as too many items; valgrind gives me an illegal opcode here when I compile with optimization.

If you haven't already, can you please email me support@kittylambda.com? Do include your save file, so I can check that it's not something simple.

Now that the update is out, one thing I will do (hopefully tonight) is get you a custom .exe to try. This will have optimization disabled. It might fix the problem for you in the short term and let you keep playing, even though it's not a long term fix (assuming the game runs fast enough for you even with optimization off.) Knowing whether or not this exe works would be useful to know!

Thanks again for your patience. This one is fairly high up on my list to fix, actually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 pm 

Just sent off an email with my current save file. And, as mentioned there, I tried out the unoptimized .exe you sent, but travelling in either the square one south or two south from Market Square still consistently results in a silent crash to desktop.

One more thing crossed my mind. I did update my video drivers recently, though I thought I had done so well before this problem started manifesting here (and haven't seen any ill effects in other applications). Maybe it's worth sending me an <i>older</i> save file from after the yellow barrier has been dropped but before the rain and Hammon appear so we can see if under my current settings/driver the problem would have shown up even earlier?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 pm 

For future reference, an email back and forth revealed that taking off the Blood Amulet seems to fix this problem completely... (Thanks, Calvin!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:29 am 

Thanks for posting that, yeah! If anybody else sees this and is experiencing this crash-- I was *waaay* over thinking it. It's just a simple issue with an item on certain screens, when certain story flags are set. Will be fixed in the next update, but that's not coming out for probably a couple weeks yet as the game is quite stable now.