PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:29 am 

I just replayed The Real Texas. It was still pretty great. BUT I HAVE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
Charles is meant to be Charles Dickens, and Emily is Emily Dickinson (PROBABLY) (though the real Emily Dickinson only had one sister, named Lavinia). I STRONGLY SUSPECT Benjamin is Benjamin Britten, but there are too many composers named Benjamin to be sure, and his costume isn't as distinctive as Emily's. Is he in fact Britten? (Am I being dumb and missing a strong clue to his identity?)
In the front hall of the castle, there are six tapestries depicting the lords of the Rockingham estate. The second tapestry is desecrated, and has Mammon's logo crudely painted on it. What significance is there to this? Who ruined the tapestry?
I get that the crow in the ending is meant to be the crow from the very start of the game, but is his/her dialogue meant to be so confusing? Does it refer to cut plot elements? Is the crow just crazy?
What goes in quickdraw slot 5? Is it the triple crossbow (which can't actually be quickdrawn as far as I know)?
Some of the time periods which the townspeople come from seem sort of inconsistent; for Garrett to be a rapper, he'd have to have come from the past 20 years or so, yet his ghost appears in the ballroom with everyone else's, implying that his earthly body is already dead. Was he something other than a rapper, who was recast as a rapper when the protagonist entered Strange, thus altering the dimension's idiom to "Texan"?

Unrelated to any of the above, but I remember Wyburn referring to the town as "Happy Town" rather than "Strange" in an early conversation with him, which I assume is an oversight.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 am 

googoogjoob wrote:
I just replayed The Real Texas. It was still pretty great. BUT I HAVE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
Charles is meant to be Charles Dickens, and Emily is Emily Dickinson (PROBABLY) (though the real Emily Dickinson only had one sister, named Lavinia). I STRONGLY SUSPECT Benjamin is Benjamin Britten, but there are too many composers named Benjamin to be sure, and his costume isn't as distinctive as Emily's. Is he in fact Britten? (Am I being dumb and missing a strong clue to his identity?)

Excellent and congrats! =) You figured out a lot!

I think you are the first person to figure out Charles' and Ben's identity; other people have sussed out Emily's but you are not quite right there. There is still another strong connection with respect to Charles to figure out (i.e., why is he there.)

I will have to admit that I put Benjamin Britten in mostly just because I really like him :)

Quote:
In the front hall of the castle, there are six tapestries depicting the lords of the Rockingham estate. The second tapestry is desecrated, and has Mammon's logo crudely painted on it. What significance is there to this? Who ruined the tapestry?

This is really mostly just early decoration stuff from the game, not strongly connected to the final story. Since it's not that well constructed I'll explain what I had in mind, basically Xartan was a previous owner of the castle, this tapestry is of him, it's been vandalized as a result of something that happened when Mammon was awakened, likely the second time since otherwise it probably would have been fixed or taken down. There is a cursive "M" symbol which is often used with bandits/etc., this is painted on the tapestry here so it's probably a bandit or ghost or something else that did it.

Quote:
I get that the crow in the ending is meant to be the crow from the very start of the game, but is his/her dialogue meant to be so confusing? Does it refer to cut plot elements? Is the crow just crazy?

The crow is somewhat related to the Guardians, which are scare-crows.

Quote:
What goes in quickdraw slot 5? Is it the triple crossbow (which can't actually be quickdrawn as far as I know)?

There is nothing that will fit in slot 5, unfortunately. There used to be a weapon called the Hydrojack which was removed (it could be used to break rocks open without TNT, which would have been useful underground.) So slot 5 I think used to be the hydrojack, and at some point I wanted to make the triple crossbow quick-drawable but because of the reload cycle it was very difficult to make it work properly. So it was an oversight to leave this slot open in the end.

Somebody pointed it out fairly early but I didn't want to change it back since a) it's a clue that there is another weapon (triple crossbow) and b) people might already have trained themselves to those keys. Seemed a bit rude to change them.

Quote:
Some of the time periods which the townspeople come from seem sort of inconsistent; for Garrett to be a rapper, he'd have to have come from the past 20 years or so, yet his ghost appears in the ballroom with everyone else's, implying that his earthly body is already dead. Was he something other than a rapper, who was recast as a rapper when the protagonist entered Strange, thus altering the dimension's idiom to "Texan"?

To my way of thinking he was recast as a rapper when Sam entered Strange. Most of the townspeople are recast to one degree or another to the modern world... I don't have a master plan for characters as much as I just feel my way around and see how they should develop, so there are likely lots of inconsistencies I don't even see. The townsfolks just sort of "are" in my mind, i.e., by the time I was finished the game they were all so fleshed out as to who they were that I had stopped thinking of them in terms of whether or not they were perfectly consistent.

Quote:
Unrelated to any of the above, but I remember Wyburn referring to the town as "Happy Town" rather than "Strange" in an early conversation with him, which I assume is an oversight.

Noted! This is just an oversight in the dialog. In early versions of the game "Strange" was called "Happy" which is actual town in Texas.

In general-- good job! It really brings a smile to my face to see you figured out so many of these things, in particular you should feel really pleased with yourself to have figured out Charles and Ben. If you think for a little bit about Emily you'll figure her out, too!

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:49 am 

PsySal wrote:
I think you are the first person to figure out Charles' and Ben's identity; other people have sussed out Emily's but you are not quite right there. There is still another strong connection with respect to Charles to figure out (i.e., why is he there.)

Oh hahahaha I'm stupid she's Emily Bronte. I dunno what I was thinking with the Dickinson thing; maybe just the whole "haunted reclusive women" thing and I connected her to Dickinson before really thinking about it.

I figured out that Charles was Dickens after seeing his portrait hung in one of the back halls of Rockingham; since he stayed there, I'm assuming that's why he/a version of himself was drawn in to Strange.

The crow/scarecrow thing makes more sense in retrospect.

Anyway, I love it when games have little details like these that you can ferret out on closer study. So, not to go into flattery, but thanks for making this game it's really good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 pm 

googoogjoob wrote:
PsySal wrote:

Oh hahahaha I'm stupid she's Emily Bronte. I dunno what I was thinking with the Dickinson thing; maybe just the whole "haunted reclusive women" thing and I connected her to Dickinson before really thinking about it.

:)

Quote:
I figured out that Charles was Dickens after seeing his portrait hung in one of the back halls of Rockingham; since he stayed there, I'm assuming that's why he/a version of himself was drawn in to Strange.

Aha! Again good job, that's really the other connection with Charles, just that he actually stayed at the real Castle Rockingham (few if anybody seems to realize it's an actual real castle.) Supposedly Rockingham partly inspired Bleak House, which seems like a very similar setting to me to Wuthering Heights which I think is the reason I included Emily. Britten has a tangential connection in that he also worked in a similar old castle/manor for a time, but again Britten is mostly just in because I like Britten.

Actually thinking back, I believe I intended to include Britten as a character from the very start; not in his current form but when I think back, I always had him in just for the heck of it.

Quote:
The crow/scarecrow thing makes more sense in retrospect.

Anyway, I love it when games have little details like these that you can ferret out on closer study. So, not to go into flattery, but thanks for making this game it's really good!

Flattery will get you everywhere! :) Well regardless thanks for the kind words and you're quite welcome!

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com