Post subject: Linux version confusion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am 

Howdy!

Thanks for creating a Linux version! :)

I'm getting very confused, though: The site shows an Ubuntu logo instead of a Linux logo. Is The Real Texas packaged in a way that makes it run only on Ubuntu instead of Linux in general?

The technical requirements say: "For Linux, you will need NVIDIA graphics (they are the only vendor with OpenGL drivers.)", but that's not right, all vendors ship OpenGL drivers and there are FOSS OpenGL drivers for most cards as well. Intel's drivers are all FOSS, Intel participates directly in Linux kernel development and Xorg development. For the other two, AMD offers a horrible proprietary driver and Nvidia offers a decent proprietary one. Most older AMD cards also work with FOSS 3D drivers (the 'radeon' driver) and many older Nvidia cards work with FOSS 3D drivers (the 'nouveau' driver).

So I'm puzzled by the requirements, otherwise I'd buy :(

I have an onboard Intel card in the i7 CPU, it runs even heavier games like Xonotic reasonably well with Intel's own FOSS drivers that come ready-packaged in Debian GNU/Linux. I don't see why the card should have trouble running The Real Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:03 pm 

I am using Debian Squeeze (thank you very much for making a Linux version!) and the Linux version of the game is a .deb file but instead of installing it with dpkg, like usual, I just extracted the contents of the game into a directory. I can start it normally and also played for a couple of minutes without any problems so I don't think there are any problems with that and you probably can run it on other systems, although a tar.gz package or something like that would have been nice. ;)

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the other problem since I am running this on a notebook with a NVidia card.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 pm 

Psy-Q wrote:
Howdy!

Thanks for creating a Linux version! :)

I'm getting very confused, though: The site shows an Ubuntu logo instead of a Linux logo. Is The Real Texas packaged in a way that makes it run only on Ubuntu instead of Linux in general?

Hi Psy-Q! Thanks for your question.

The game is offered right now only as a 32-bit .deb. There is no particular reason it won't run on any other Linux, and I will be providing a .tar.gz when I can get the next patch out. However there have been a few issues:

- Some users have have had problems with 64 bit linux installations. I'm still looking into this, I'd like to get a 64-bit package released. It seems like it's possible but may require some slight library hacking.
- One user has had an issue with audio not playing; i'm looking into this as well. It may be due to different audio drivers.
- You might need to (as yuastnav noted) manually unpackage the .deb file and install it. Please see the post in the support forum about this!

Quote:

The technical requirements say: "For Linux, you will need NVIDIA graphics (they are the only vendor with OpenGL drivers.)", but that's not right, all vendors ship OpenGL drivers and there are FOSS OpenGL drivers for most cards as well. Intel's drivers are all FOSS, Intel participates directly in Linux kernel development and Xorg development. For the other two, AMD offers a horrible proprietary driver and Nvidia offers a decent proprietary one. Most older AMD cards also work with FOSS 3D drivers (the 'radeon' driver) and many older Nvidia cards work with FOSS 3D drivers (the 'nouveau' driver).

So I'm puzzled by the requirements, otherwise I'd buy :(

I have an onboard Intel card in the i7 CPU, it runs even heavier games like Xonotic reasonably well with Intel's own FOSS drivers that come ready-packaged in Debian GNU/Linux. I don't see why the card should have trouble running The Real Texas.

I haven't been able to test it with either Intel or AMD/ATi graphics on Linux, so I don't want to say that it will run.

But: If you've had success getting other OpenGL games to work on your hardware then it will probably run. Basically if you have OpenGL working (HW accelerated, not MESA) then the game will likely run without issue for you. You need vanilla OpenGL 1.2 suport, that's really all.

It's just that I don't want to say it will work without having been able to test it!

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 am 

Just wanted to mention that I can run the extracted .deb just fine on openSuse 12.1 64bit with Nvidia proprietary drivers. Just needed to install the libsdl 32bit package.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:12 pm 

eisbehr wrote:
Just wanted to mention that I can run the extracted .deb just fine on openSuse 12.1 64bit with Nvidia proprietary drivers. Just needed to install the libsdl 32bit package.

Hi eisbehr, thanks for letting me know this, it's good to know this works. Most of the libraries are static-linked to help with compatability, the exception being sdl so that explains your need for that library.

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com