Post subject: Inventory
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:14 pm 

I like your game. It is a good game. I like the silly writing and the story seems decent. I also like your sense of humour and overall writing style. I haven't played far enough to say much more about it, really. I will play more of it. There's nothing I especially dislike about it, though.

Except that the limited inventory kind of hurts a bit. Well, a lot. Especially when you need to always carry certain items around, like the GPS watch and ATM card, sometimes keys. The website said this game supported hoarding. :( That was a mean lie to tell. I don't want to leave my hoardables on the floor or in someone's dresser, I want them with me.

I know there's a lot of carryable junk in the game, but most of it is useless to the player. A larger or even limitless inventory shouldn't break the game, surely? The tradeoff/penalty would be that it gets hard to manage if you fill it up with too much crap, which would honestly give me plenty of incentive to drop off the less necessary stuff. If there are puzzles later that require back-and-forthing to choose a small number of items to carry, well, shame on you.

I know you must have made it this way deliberately, but I'm baffled as to why. I've always hated small inventories, I honestly don't understand why people make them limited at all. It's like unskippable cutscenes or slow text speeds.

Post subject: Re: Inventory
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:10 pm 

I agree the inventory is pretty frustrating, especially given how many interesting items you can find in the world. if it's any consolation, you can containers that fit in your inventory (like a shoebox) that can hold 5 or so items each. It definitely helps, and you can have multiple boxes.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:22 am 

Well that's something, I guess.

Bug report: Near the start of the game when seeking out Charles, moving the TNT directly into the 'carry' slot duplicates the Colt pistol (starting gun). Like, permanently. I have two of them now.

Also some jelly slime things (green or red, before finding Charles) seem to take like ten direct hits to kill. I'm definitely hitting them, I can see them splatter out from the shot impact. I'm not sure if it's intentional and I'm just not hitting them in the exact right spot or not. I also have some problem moving around after exiting shoot mode, I have to use the mouse instead of the keys or the dude just stands there. This is also during slime fights, usually after the RESIST thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:01 am 

Corridor wrote:
Well that's something, I guess.

Bug report: Near the start of the game when seeking out Charles, moving the TNT directly into the 'carry' slot duplicates the Colt pistol (starting gun). Like, permanently. I have two of them now.

Also some jelly slime things (green or red, before finding Charles) seem to take like ten direct hits to kill. I'm definitely hitting them, I can see them splatter out from the shot impact. I'm not sure if it's intentional and I'm just not hitting them in the exact right spot or not. I also have some problem moving around after exiting shoot mode, I have to use the mouse instead of the keys or the dude just stands there. This is also during slime fights, usually after the RESIST thing.

Hey Corridor! Thank you for the bug report on the duplicating colt issue, this hasn't been reported before. This shouldn't affect your game negatively, fortunately, but I'll get it fixed.

Quick note to everyone re: some of the other suggestions, for instance with inventory size or damage. I'm definitely reading these and thinking hard about them, but right now I'm just super focused on fixing bugs rather than possible gameplay balance changes.

Enjoy!

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:09 pm 

In case it hasn't been pointed out, I've had my Magic Wand duplicated in inventory. I'm not sure what led to to it happening, but I noticed it immediately after resuming from a saved game in which the Magic Wand was equipped in hand.

Similarly -- and I bet this one is easily reproducible -- if you put your cowboy hat into a shoebox in inventory, it'll show up duplicated at the lost & found in town. (I haven't tested with the other objects, but I bet the lost & found code just isn't checking inside shoeboxes? I noticed you can't offer the banker gold if it's currently in a box.)

Also, excellent game so far!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

The duped weapon thing happens if you drag a TNT stick to your Carry slot. Might have been fixed in patch? Haven't checked.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 am 

Bringing this back from the dead: I was super into this game, cruising through it, and then I had to send my graphics card in for repair. It took forever, so I decided to delete my save and start fresh recently after setting the game down for months.

Is there any quick/easy way for me to add additional inventory slots by editing a file or something? I'd love five or ten times the space (or infinite inventory as has been suggested).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:13 am 

benexclaimed wrote:
Bringing this back from the dead: I was super into this game, cruising through it, and then I had to send my graphics card in for repair. It took forever, so I decided to delete my save and start fresh recently after setting the game down for months.

Is there any quick/easy way for me to add additional inventory slots by editing a file or something? I'd love five or ten times the space (or infinite inventory as has been suggested).

Heya! I saw this post a couple days ago and have been meaning to get back to you.

Unfortunately there's no simple way to modify the game (either for you, or for me) to create more inventory slots; it's fairly deeply imbedded in the design e.g., of the gui, etc. However as you can see with other posts in this thread a lot of people have mentioned it as a source of irritation so it is something I'll perhaps rethink with future games.

The weird thing is I *like* shuffling inventory around, however I may have overestimated how much other people do :)

That said there are two tiny tips:

1- Any item left will remain where you leave it. This goes for putting things in drawers, etc. The game tracks all items absolutely, so you can safely create stashes.

2- The game also will put most (but not all) unique items into the lost and found, if you have already owned them but aren't carrying them. So if you lose something, it can pay it to check there. There are a few things missing, intentionally, from the lost and found, however. I won't say more on that.

3- Depending on how far into the game you are, there may be other ways to alleviate limited inventory strain (edit: reading your post again, it sounds like you are already pretty far in-- so maybe just check in case you missed something.)

Thanks for starting the game back up, and do enjoy! Make sure you're running 1.3 as this has fixed quite a few bugs that were in 1.2 (definitely the duplication bugs/etc. mentioned above have been fixed.)

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com