PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:14 pm 

I'm writing this with the assumption that if you're reading it you've either beaten the game or don't care about spoilers, so consider yourself warned!

Bugs/Errors
  • If an NPC wanders into the barrier to the south of town, it turns off and you can get through (Randolph likes to do this in the little shack next to his house).
  • The middle gate in the clubhouse (where you find the code to get in) can be walked through before it's been raised properly.
  • There is a piece of cutlery with no graphic in the dresser to the left of the bed in the SE corner of the castle's second floor.
  • When talking to Charles in the Diamond Mine, the "problem" topic does not add itself to the topic list.
  • The dialog that occurs before and after the fight with Hammon does not pause the aerial bombardment, and it is possible to die while talking. Also, any summoned bandits are not removed after the fight and will kill you while you talk with Sawyer.
  • The formula example in the book on snow frogs should list the 3rd frog as "0-1-0" but it's currently "0-1-1".
  • The block game at the end of the lab bugged out for me. After I killed the second pink ninja, no more enemies spawned and I could no longer control my character, but moving the mouse cursor controlled the paddle. The animation was also a bit weird, with my character kinda waving his gun about confusedly. Control did not return after I beat the block game, though closing the game and restarting it fixed it.
  • The first time I beat the game, the cutscene froze right after Mathilda said "it's kind of like a spacetime path of least resistance" (or something like that) and right before "Matty? Look at the sky." I could still hit escape and save&quit, but no other buttons did anything and the game refused to proceed.
  • While trying to beat the game again, the action stopped mid-fight and the controls locked out again, in exactly the same way as they did during the block game (including the strange gun wavy thing). It may have been related to an airstrike that I either narrowly avoided or narrowly didn't. Since I closed the game completely the first time it happened, this time I just hit save&quit and then loaded right away. This worked, but the half-depleted boss health bar was still present (I have a screenshot of this). It filled up again when the fight started and everything worked like normal.

Bugs? Maybe?
  • If you die past the flame tiki in the Garbadge Mine but before you open the shortcut door, you respawn before the tikis and can't get past without buying another idol. Having beaten the game, I find this hilarious, but it still might be unintentional.
  • Henleigh's Key appears in Lost and Found after being used. The same thing happens with the bandit key in the chicken cave.
  • You can get infinite blood amulets by killing everything in the room again.
  • The Henry Rifle really lags performance when cocked. I played the game on a very low end PC which had some slight stuttering in areas with lots of ground clutter (such as the dungeon when the entrance from Fort Worth is blocked off by debris). The Henry Rifle effect was beyond stuttering, though, and reduced performance to around one fps, making aiming a bit tricky.
  • Either dropping the rifle costs a bullet, or silver bullets fire a whole stack, not one at a time. I was carrying three stacks when fighting Hammon, and while I think I dropped the rifle more than twice, I'm not positive. After the fight, I had only two stacks remaining.
  • The description for the hot chocolate seems to suggest it is bacon.

Suggestions
  • Enemy dodge rates should probably lower every time they dodge, to avoid situations where enemies dodge 12 times in a row, which is very frustrating.
  • There should be a second or two of invulnerability after being hit, to allow for a getaway (such as from the prod-wielding bandits) and to avoid instakills (when there are two or more enemies with guns, such as any bandit area, or in the final fight).
  • Taking damage is too punishing. There are currently three effects in addition to taking damage that combine to make even small amounts of damage extremely lethal: it stuns you (knocking you out of firing mode and letting enemies close in), it slows your movement speed, and it causes you to start gasping for breath (or whatever the periodic stun thing is). I think combat would feel a bit better if two of the three were removed - or at least the periodic stun thing, which is really, really annoying.
  • The only area where I got really stuck and absolutely needed help was freeing the ghost in the kitchen, because I had been sleeping every night to make sure my character didn't pass out and to be able to talk with NPCs. Maybe add some kind of clue in the kitchen to make this more obvious, like a clock (stuck at midnight?) with some of that green goo stuff on the floor around it.

I might think of more and add it later as I reflect on the experience, but for now that's all I have in my notes. Please don't take this as meaning I don't have anything positive to say - on the contrary, everything else was great! What a wonderful, quirky, and charming game. Even the ending was good, which is incredibly rare nowadays. Please put this on Steam so I can buy it for all my friends and force them to play it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:13 pm 

seorin wrote:
I'm writing this with the assumption that if you're reading it you've either beaten the game or don't care about spoilers, so consider yourself warned!

Bugs/Errors
  • If an NPC wanders into the barrier to the south of town, it turns off and you can get through (Randolph likes to do this in the little shack next to his house).
  • The middle gate in the clubhouse (where you find the code to get in) can be walked through before it's been raised properly.
  • There is a piece of cutlery with no graphic in the dresser to the left of the bed in the SE corner of the castle's second floor.
  • When talking to Charles in the Diamond Mine, the "problem" topic does not add itself to the topic list.
  • The dialog that occurs before and after the fight with Hammon does not pause the aerial bombardment, and it is possible to die while talking. Also, any summoned bandits are not removed after the fight and will kill you while you talk with Sawyer.
  • The formula example in the book on snow frogs should list the 3rd frog as "0-1-0" but it's currently "0-1-1".
  • The block game at the end of the lab bugged out for me. After I killed the second pink ninja, no more enemies spawned and I could no longer control my character, but moving the mouse cursor controlled the paddle. The animation was also a bit weird, with my character kinda waving his gun about confusedly. Control did not return after I beat the block game, though closing the game and restarting it fixed it.
  • The first time I beat the game, the cutscene froze right after Mathilda said "it's kind of like a spacetime path of least resistance" (or something like that) and right before "Matty? Look at the sky." I could still hit escape and save&quit, but no other buttons did anything and the game refused to proceed.
  • While trying to beat the game again, the action stopped mid-fight and the controls locked out again, in exactly the same way as they did during the block game (including the strange gun wavy thing). It may have been related to an airstrike that I either narrowly avoided or narrowly didn't. Since I closed the game completely the first time it happened, this time I just hit save&quit and then loaded right away. This worked, but the half-depleted boss health bar was still present (I have a screenshot of this). It filled up again when the fight started and everything worked like normal.

Bugs? Maybe?
  • If you die past the flame tiki in the Garbadge Mine but before you open the shortcut door, you respawn before the tikis and can't get past without buying another idol. Having beaten the game, I find this hilarious, but it still might be unintentional.
  • Henleigh's Key appears in Lost and Found after being used. The same thing happens with the bandit key in the chicken cave.
  • You can get infinite blood amulets by killing everything in the room again.
  • The Henry Rifle really lags performance when cocked. I played the game on a very low end PC which had some slight stuttering in areas with lots of ground clutter (such as the dungeon when the entrance from Fort Worth is blocked off by debris). The Henry Rifle effect was beyond stuttering, though, and reduced performance to around one fps, making aiming a bit tricky.
  • Either dropping the rifle costs a bullet, or silver bullets fire a whole stack, not one at a time. I was carrying three stacks when fighting Hammon, and while I think I dropped the rifle more than twice, I'm not positive. After the fight, I had only two stacks remaining.
  • The description for the hot chocolate seems to suggest it is bacon.

Suggestions
  • Enemy dodge rates should probably lower every time they dodge, to avoid situations where enemies dodge 12 times in a row, which is very frustrating.
  • There should be a second or two of invulnerability after being hit, to allow for a getaway (such as from the prod-wielding bandits) and to avoid instakills (when there are two or more enemies with guns, such as any bandit area, or in the final fight).
  • Taking damage is too punishing. There are currently three effects in addition to taking damage that combine to make even small amounts of damage extremely lethal: it stuns you (knocking you out of firing mode and letting enemies close in), it slows your movement speed, and it causes you to start gasping for breath (or whatever the periodic stun thing is). I think combat would feel a bit better if two of the three were removed - or at least the periodic stun thing, which is really, really annoying.
  • The only area where I got really stuck and absolutely needed help was freeing the ghost in the kitchen, because I had been sleeping every night to make sure my character didn't pass out and to be able to talk with NPCs. Maybe add some kind of clue in the kitchen to make this more obvious, like a clock (stuck at midnight?) with some of that green goo stuff on the floor around it.

I might think of more and add it later as I reflect on the experience, but for now that's all I have in my notes. Please don't take this as meaning I don't have anything positive to say - on the contrary, everything else was great! What a wonderful, quirky, and charming game. Even the ending was good, which is incredibly rare nowadays. Please put this on Steam so I can buy it for all my friends and force them to play it.

Thank you so much! I am really sorry about these bugs, I tried my best to make it bug-free and ideally your experience wouldn't have been negatively effected like this, even though it sounds like you still really enjoyed the game. Every bug will get fixed though and it helps me more than you can realize to have a list like this! Part of the problem with the game is just the sheer scope of it, and no matter how many times I played it through it's still *me* playing and I know it too well to trigger many of the possible issues. So it's *hugely* appreciated.

I'll reply in more detail in a PM a bit later on today, since my reply will have some spoilerish stuff. Right now I'm just nailing down a last couple bugs that are on my list so I can get an update out tomorrow.

One quick thing!

If possible, can you please send me the file "trace.txt" to support@kittylambda.com? It's located in the same folder as your save games are. Based on your description, assuming you didn't play the game since beating it, this file will have information to fix the bug with the "wavy gun animation" probably in both situations. But I can almost definitely reproduce based on your description even without it, too.

Thanks again, and congrats! I think you are probably the first person (outside of beta testers, who had help from me) to beat the game.

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 am 

Yeah, the damage thing is a bit much. It makes dealing with multiple enemies extremely frustrating. Its especially bad in the Garbadge Mine. I just lost my Happy Idol because I was in a narrow tunnel and a slime attacked me, and the wand makes the happy statues explode. Between all that and the bending over in pain animation, I died. If you're going to have an animation like that, it should give you invincibility for a second so you can get away.