[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Kitty Lambda Games Inc. Forums • Finished, was awesome, some notes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 am 

Hullo,

I just finished the game the other day and took some notes.. I think some has been addressed in other posts but I haven't had a chance to read it all. This post contains spoilers. edit: I played right through using v1.2

tips:
- keep a text file for a quest log as well as locked doors/chests
- leave keys by the door that you unlocked them with. Otherwise they take up all your inventory *and* you don't know what they're for.
- get atm card as soon as you can

feature requests:
- Quest Log. I noticed you had a quest log in an earlier version via your devlog but it was taken out? I actually preferred keeping my own log but only started after I got to the garbadge mines and realised the game wasn't going to hold my hand.
- Map markers. Something like Ultima Underworld where you could view all maps and mark with your own notes would be cool but I realise that it would be difficult considering how the levels are laid out and you can only view one map at a time.
- a key ring :) It seems every first rpg in a series doesn't have a keyring and then the next does. I had keys taking up a third of my inventory because I didn't know what they were for or if I would need them later. I wised up with some later keys and left them by the door I had unlocked.
- tab completion for typable actions/dialog.
- edit: Also, why not log failed dialog/item actions and get players to send them in so you could beef up the number of unique responses?

bugs/possible bugs:
- could enter diamond cave through sign (still needed key inside)
- the club house gates insides, I solved by opening the gates by using a switch on the other side of the gate. I thought this was a legitimate solution but..
- I could also get lightning mail in chest through the gate without opening the gate.
- ATM, typing balance gives me $0 balance. Also can't type in amount of money (or even the $ sign for the given options)
- I completely missed first card from ghost in castle cause new guy was standing on it. I didn't find it until much later.
- Waking castle ghost with easy waltz... I had to save/quit and return for it to work!
- Luda's note doesn't work after you finish the game - nor luda conversation.
- breakout boss is buggy.. the paddle doesn't seem to determine angle of ball? one time the angle got stuck at this wide angle that took ages to get to top and back. I think where the ball hits the paddle is meant to determine the angle it leaves it? Or is that pong?
- a couple of spelling mistakes and double words in later game dialog. (sorry I didn't note where)

questions:
- phone, bottle of water, hex necklace, etc.. do nothing?
- what was the overstock key that you find in the diamond mine for?
- what was the big drop with the grate on top in the garbadge mines meant to be? Is there a place we've been to underneath or were we supposed to open it?
- Also, was there more to do after you give luda's note to the guy? He says 'she was wrong' and then that's it?
- Are there enough pirate keys? Or are you supposed to only open some of the chests?
- Are there multiple endings?

All in all this is a great game and I had fun working through it. I had less trouble figuring out what to do next when I kept my own log of things.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:12 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:02 pm 

Woo, thank you! Some great suggestions. I read and think about all feedback but don't usually respond directly. So please don't you or anybody else feel like I've ignored any of your posts!

Few things though that I thought you might find interesting:

- I actually have a mechanism in place to log what keywords players type in! I decided though that I didn't want people to feel like they were spied on while playing. I.e., I thought having in the back of your mind that the dev was watching you play would diminish the enjoyment of the game. It would be awesome data to have, though!

- You are correct, there was a quest log but I scrapped it because it actually overwhelmed the tone of the game. Like, there was no way to write the quest log that didn't seem to be putting words into the players' mouth.

- Keyring is a great idea. The only catch would be that it's not an automatic use item, i.e., I like that you have to know what key to use in what door.

- The issue with the Luda letter after the game has been won is known, and should be fixed for the next update.

- Walking into the diamond mine early on is by design. Sorry if the sign placement made it seem like something was broken.

- Issues with the levers are known, but I think I'll leave them in as a kind of exploit =) It's not by design but as none of them are in critical places it should be OK!

- I can't comment on any of the items and their possible uses (or uselessness) due to game dev code of honour, but it was funny to see Patrick so confused during the QL about the two medallions. =) When you know what the puzzle is it was funny as heck to see him keep going to sleep... "I'm trying to get to the ghost wedding. There was this weird ghost wedding, I was sure this neckace triggered it. When I go to sleep, I'll wake up in a different place... Hmm. Nope." Ha ha ha I was lol-ing... =) It was nice of him to try and show off one of the cooler subquests though!

- [EDIT] I should say the ATM balance thing is a bug; I think it shows your on-hand cash instead. Also I like your idea of entering a number but should that be to withdraw or deposit? Hmn.. I guess withdraw.

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:45 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:21 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:01 am 

Hey, just finished the game (v1.3). First thing I wanted to say was "awesome job!"

Also I had some notes:

- I love the day/night cycle, and the schedules of the villagers.

- The music is stellar, and it's great that it informed the game design.

- I think the puzzles were just the right difficulty. I admit that I looked at the forums a few times on some of them. But I never had to resort to a walkthrough. Sometimes I stumbled into the solution but more often than not I had to actually use my brain, a rare thing these days.

- The art style was really unique, but more than that, everything felt like it belonged. The minimal animation style is a big boon to a game that has so much interaction with the environment... I can't imagine animating picking up objects and opening boxes for the million options in this game.

- It might be just me, but I occasionally had trouble keeping track of all the characters in the game. It's probably a combination of me not playing for a few months, the number of characters, the simplistic art style (I tend to remember faces), or other things. However the dialog for the kids was really memorable, and I remembered the most important characters, just not all the townsfolk.

- The combat was really interesting... regenerating health meant that you can scrap boring inventory management, but the fact that you keel over when you get hurt means that there is a real incentive not to get hit by attacks. To be honest, this system grew on me. In the beginning I was really frustrated by the fact that I couldn't move and escape, but for a niche game like this it makes sense. Also the death penalty isn't that bad, and the walk speed is fast enough that the times where I spawned far away didn't bother me so much.

However the hit feedback was sometimes really sparse and difficult to understand. I would feel like I'm shooting enemies point blank but the hit wouldn't register. If the hit is ineffective it would be better to have some kind of alternate effect telling the player this, it would make it more easy to understand.

- I like how your game design didn't rely on a bunch of meters and UI. No health and no sleep meter (funny visual feedback instead). The amount of busywork management was kept to a minimum, which I was happy about.

- UI was a bit clunky sometimes. Not unworkable, but the way you had to fiddle with the inventory, paper doll, and stuff on the ground could have been more streamlined. Using the shoebox was especially annoying, because you had to go through 3 clicks or so to get where you wanted to go. Ultima 7 had a draggable backpack and draggable pouches, and if you're going to do another game in this style it might be worth looking into that. For barrells and other things with objects inside of them, displaying it as a grid beside your inventory could be better, no?

- I really liked the hint chests. This is something that the Mother(Earthbound) game did really well, you pay for hints with in game currency but other hints are strewn around in a self referential sort of way. I liked that you justified it in the story though.

Bug:
- At the Interstate when Carrie and Mathilda are walking back towards the car, you can trigger a really old dialog sequence when you talk to Malthilda, the sequence where she congratulates you for finding the wizard wand.

Questions for you that you can answer/not answer:

- Did you program this engine? Or is it a modified version of something else?

- How long did it take you to make The Real Texas from start to finish?

- Why did you decide on a silent protagonist?

- Was the art style born out of some sort of limitation, a prototype, or were you inspired by something else?

- Choosing real time combat over some sort of turn based RPG combat was because of a Zelda influence? Do you think the game could have worked with turn based combat?

Thanks again for giving us such a great game, and I hope that you can get it on Steam and more people can be exposed to it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 am