Post subject: Confession
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 am 

Small confession: I ended up hacking my save game to give myself more money.

(slight spoilers)

The fact that the trace log has the expected checksum helped a lot as well as the realisation that lua stored numbers as doubles instead of integers.

The reason why I did this is because I wanted to buy a coloured idol but realised that I didn't have enough cash so I sold another idol. I didn't think that I would need it later and I didn't have enough cash on me when I did need it. The monsters in the mine didn't really give much money and I felt it would take ages to raise the funds. So I felt it would be more fun to see if I could modify the save game instead of grinding for gold.

Also, I kind of feel that a dungeon in a game like this should be sort of "self-contained" in that zelda way, where you won't be able to enter and complete a dungeon until you have all the equipment necessary. Once you're in a dungeon, you should be confident that if you're stuck, it's because you need to solve a puzzle within the dungeon or search the dungeon more thoroughly, not go to somewhere else (unless there's some sign that explicitly tells you to). I know having the idols in the store meant that you could easily repurchase idols that you lose behind a flaming statue (or lost as in can't remember where you left it) but it also meant that grinding for money became part of the solution if you messed up.

Note: later I found it would be easier to grind on the bandits or possibly search the town for hidden money but also that was outside of the garbadge mine and I guess I was still in the "dungeons are self contained and should be solvable without outside help" mentality.

I don't think cheating ruined the rest of the game too much. I still enjoyed hunting for treasure chests even if the gold wasn't as useful. I didn't have to worry about if I could afford TNT for the late boss (although you could kill bandits to get TNT) but it meant I stocked up on expensive silver bullets when I didn't have to. I rebought the idols (instead of treating them like the expensive items they are) when I needed them in other caves (after the first force field is brought down). The frogs/jets puzzle might have made me more cautious if I had to earn the money to buy more frogs but might have frustrated me more as I didn't realise until the last jet that I could "read" the jet gauges so there was a bit of trial and error. I originally thought you were meant to solve the jet puzzles based on their colour.

Just posting as food for thought! It's not really a complaint as such, but having to sometimes spend money to solve a puzzle reduces the ability to experiment.

Post subject: Re: Confession
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:14 pm 

sonneveld wrote:
Also, I kind of feel that a dungeon in a game like this should be sort of "self-contained" in that zelda way, where you won't be able to enter and complete a dungeon until you have all the equipment necessary. Once you're in a dungeon, you should be confident that if you're stuck, it's because you need to solve a puzzle within the dungeon or search the dungeon more thoroughly, not go to somewhere else (unless there's some sign that explicitly tells you to). I know having the idols in the store meant that you could easily repurchase idols that you lose behind a flaming statue (or lost as in can't remember where you left it) but it also meant that grinding for money became part of the solution if you messed up.

yeah he should totally abandon the entire open world exploration ascthetic that the entire game is based around good idea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:07 pm 

Doglord 420 wrote:
yeah he should totally abandon the entire open world exploration ascthetic that the entire game is based around good idea

That's not what I'm trying to say. There were just situations where I felt like I had to grind or risk selling items that I wasn't sure I should be selling. (for eg, I didn't know at the time it was safe to sell a phone.. especially when characters in the castle seemed to be affected by making phone calls) I was trying to tie it in with idea of being confident that you have enough to solve a dungeon. It's fine to be open world but sometimes a player needs a bit a scope.

Anyway.. It's not really a criticism of the game, I just wanted to discuss these ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:19 pm 

Hey guys just so you know I think all criticism is valuable. There's always pros and cons to decisions and I do appreciate the feedback re: the dungeons being self-contained.

Also, and more importantly: in my mind there's never anything wrong with hacking a save file.

As far as I'm concerned the savefile is the player's property-- so it's really up to them! =) Future versions may even have a built-in save file hacker so people can mess around. For my part I just try to design the game so that won't be neccessary.

This is kind of an interesting ethical issue, actually. Like think about all those hours a person can pour into pokemon, to have it wiped when your battery dies. This seems like actually horrible game design ethics to me, though I suppose on GB there's not much alternative. I think of a save file as kind of a creative work you should own the rights to.

Even with an online game, to my way of thinking you should be able to download you save file, hack it to oblivion, and play that character offline (I don't think you should neccessarily be able to hack or modifiy an online character or other stats, though...)

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com