[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5129: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3839)
Kitty Lambda Games Inc. Forums • Combat feedback (minor spoilers)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:38 am 

Hey, thank you! I do appreciate the detailed feedback. Possibly the frustration with combat issue didn't come up because at that point the other (story, puzzle) issues were much larger, relative to it. Or possibly I was somehow just more focused on the story issues.

A lot of people have mentioned the stun blocking as being a major point of frustration, so I take this quite seriously. To be honest I would nerf it at this point if I could come up with a decent way to do that and not break the rest of the game. Your rationale, that stun-blocking is somewhat antithetical to the core mechanic of action games makes sense.

What I think is that I would rather make another game with this same basic combat system, but reworked based on my experience in making and in player feedback from TRT. This way I would be working more within known parameters, but would be able to develop the ideas differently and hopefully in a more streamlined fashion.

Next version will have a few control tweaks, including an option to disable mouse movement which a few people have also suggested. Based on your comment I will also see if I can add a toggle (vs. modal) option.

Just so you know, my general philosophy is not as "creative dictator" but much more player focused. So while I have a specific vision and use that as the baseline for designing the game, I think it's also good to give the player options for how they want things to work.

So for instance if I could toggle the stun blocking I would do so, so you could choose to play it that way. Unfortunately as you might imagine it's not so simple to make that work, but nothing is out of the question! So we'll see =) 1.3 will have some of these behaviours toggle-able, as mentioned above, at least.

Takin' it EASY, riding my BIKE, makin' my GAMES.
http://www.kittylambda.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:53 am 

I think a good first step would be to add a second of invulnerability after taking damage. I wouldn't mention it, but you already said in another topic that there is an invulnerability flag for cutscenes, so it seems like something that might not be too troublesome to add. If you also removed the periodic stuns (bullet point #2 above) the combat would feel just fine, in my opinion. There would still be room for improvement (such as the other suggestions above), but I can understand why you'd want to save that for another game instead of completely redesigning this one.