PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:47 am 

I think this is the first MMORG, I am willing to play, (due to very limited time), and I would like to ask a few questions:

a. Do I have to play with others, can I play on my own if I feel like it, or both? Do I have to spend a lot of time to level up, (like WoW ) or I can use a more casual way of playing?

b. How can I reverse the Y-Axis to my mouse? Or even better can I use a joystick to control my ship?

From your site I get the impression that this is a game targeted at those who like to play single player games, and would like to try a space based MMORG, without the usual conventions (Guilds, grinding, more single player oriented content)
Am I correct in my assumptions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:28 pm 

Yes and no. MMORPG?
just rpg for now.

No grinding, guilds, just start where you left off play?
Yes.

Game? not quite yet.
It's more like a beta program that is going to, one day, become a very awesome game. But until then, it's beta.

Last edited by DeShunOmeka on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:53 am 

Yeah, you can absolutely play single player. It is an RPG more than an MMORPG, but I think it will appeal to a lot of MMORPGers (maybe not!) The game is sort of about replay, becuase the worlds are totally autogenerated. If you have played a game with autogenerated worlds, for instance nethack, you realize the fun comes from learning the rules of the game and applying them in different contexts. VtV is like that. The game is not very hard, but there are a lot of ways to play. You can also create your own private games to play in, and invite only your friends if you like.

The control scheme is fixed right now, but I have in mind to implement some alternatives.

As for if it's a "game", well =) DeShun I'd love to put more features in, believe me, but I'm afraid it is quite close to being done. If there are things you think need to go in, or you'd like to see, post it in the suggestions forum. Some things might be easy to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:21 am 

Aye, sorry Calvin, didnt mean to be so harsh with my words... I changed what I said.
What you've accomplished thus far is more than any mere mortal may accomplish in a substantial amount of time.
It's just that... alone you dont stand a chance against companies with teams of people working on a single project :(

Damnit now I'm all depressed. Calvin, how come the good developers like you, who actually commute with the players, never come on out top?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 am 

Hah! Don't be depressed, really! I have an amazingly thick skin, actually what I try to do is absorb criticism. I think it's quite a reasonable thing to say, the game could certainly do with a lot more features. I was encouraged actually by what you said and am more encouraged by the fact you seem to be enjoying the game. You are the first one to beat it, btw... except for me of course; even then, I have debug cheat codes I use (they aren't in the release versions at all, in fact they are meticulously expunged so they can't be hacked back in) so actually you are the first person.

Anyhow, about the big developers, the secret is I'm not trying to compete with them, and I wasn't ever. I'm just trying to create an alternative game that fits a certain niche. While it's true that I can't create anything approaching a MMORPG or RPG from a well-funded developer, it's also true that no well-funded developer would in a million years create a game like Venture the Void.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:13 am 

Thanks to both of you guys. :) I will give it a try.