PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:42 am 

Is there any chance that I could get some help in hell. Anyone?
Please?
*wimpers and cries about his mother, while in the fetile position*

I'll rephrase this question:
I once tried to find another player, we both went to the same city so we could group up and take out some of the harder monsters... or so I could rain destruction on his ship and chuckle evily... but in any case neither of us could see the other player. Is this supposed to be?
That might be a good thing, then again. Some people have great connections, some dont. He'd probably warp out of the system, grab a better gun, and warp back in before my box registered that he moved X_x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:15 am 

Ahh, sadly, no. This can't work. I don't mean to disappoint, this is on the about page but it's not really what you'd expect. You can't see other player ships.

That's one of the things that's different in VtV from other MMORPGs. =( I have to admit that it kind of sucks.

I tried an approach to implement this without requiring a lot of server horsepower (not to mention game redesign) but it was just too unreliable. It's always in the back of my mind, and I still do have a few different ideas which (you never know) might still work out. It's both a design issue programming-wise, but also a server issue. The way it works right now, the server can be incredibly lightweight, which means VtV will not have any monthly fee. If I can figure out a way to do this, I need to make it so that it is still server-light, at any rate. This isn't neccesarily impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:19 am 

Hmmm...
:idea:
Dont try to process everything on the server, just make the server act as a relay point for a few variables. Let the player's computers process it from there!

Example:
I hire a certain (X) pirate to attack another certain (Y) player. In due time, the server gets the message "Spawn (X) type of pirate to attack (Y) player". The server sends that message to the (Y) player's computer, where, whenever he manages to get the message, his game waits for a good time to spawn the pirate to attack him!

This way everything doesnt have to be pumped out in real time server-side. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:40 am 

DeShunOmeka wrote:
Hmmm...
:idea:
Dont try to process everything on the server, just make the server act as a relay point for a few variables. Let the player's computers process it from there!

Sounds pretty close to a peer-to-peer connection to me. The only client-server connection would be to hook the peers up. The problem there would be desyncronization.

You should bounce some of your ideas off us, Calvin. I'd love to be influential in any way I can. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:33 pm 

Aye, but that's what I wanted to point out: not everything HAS to be synchronized! The pirate CAN show up 5 minutes late in the other player's game, since time and space is relative to the machine, not the server.
I say keep it desynchronized, bouncing things off the server "when convenient".

Aye, I've sort of been cornering the ideas market... what's do you guys' think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:17 am 

Well, that is sort of how it works right now! The problem is basically synchronizing certain things would be a lot of network traffic, and also probably very hard to get working properly and debug. Right now though, incidentally, you can do exactly what you described re: the pirates. Hehehe, you should check it out!

Synchronizing moving things is harder, and requires a lot more network bandwidth if the synchronization information is going to go through the server. For that reason, I actually originally did design a peer-to-peer system, and had it partly working. You could actually see the other players flying around, it was sort of neat. But...

ONLY the player ships were synchronized. There remained a lot left to sync; weapons fire, enemies, ships, and lots else I am probably forgetting. Moreover, it was sometimes hard to get peer-to-peer working because of firewalls. Ideally, everything would go through the server.

Anyhow, I am still toying with some ideas but I wouldn't hold off too much hope. I am thinking of it though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:51 am 

Really? You can already?!

:twisted:

I mean... I shall only use this power for good.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:55 am 

Yeah check the bulletin boards at pirate bases...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am 

Y'know I just had a strange thought on this subject. It's 2am so feel free to disregard this as sleep deprevation insanity.

The game worlds are generated based on algorithms...why can't enemy/friendly unit behavior be the same? Sort of a mutated timetable system.

Keep track of player actions all the time, and when a player interacts with a unit, keep track of that unit until the player stops interacting with it. That way the network is only used when players are interacting with other units. In fact...you wouldn't even have to send player data bidirectionally unless two or more players were close enough to interact.

The only thing I can't come up with is a way to make sure the unit algorithms are synced up. Probably something with the server pinging out the current game time to the players...

Just a thought.