Post subject: Wierd XP glitch
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:22 pm 

I was flying to a quest on Kuma II on the Official Eden server, and as I flew in for a landing in one of the cities, all of a sudden I started getting hit messages continually, ticking off damage and XP as if I was killing things despite me not doing anything of the sort. It kept doing it off and on for basically the entire time I was on the dark side of the planet, and only stopped once I got out of the nasty weather and into the daylight, oddly.

I wound up getting some 20,000 XP for doing absolutely nothing but flying around looking for a quest NPC.

EDIT: Actually, I got a rather similar effect when fighting the first demon. Just being in the things presence seemed to result in bucketloads of XP. The second demon wasn't the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:20 pm 

ACtually, I think it might be the lightning in some cases. It's hitting other stuff on the planet, and giving me the credit for the kills.

Now, what the hell just happened in the final demon fight in Hell I don't have any idea. He just zips around the system, then at some point I get hut by a giant missile which I barely survive, it leaves behind an explosion the size of a sun for a few moments, and now there's an "Unknown Power Source" floating about in space, and it won't let me pick it up.

Do I just need more cargo space or something?

Honestly, the last of the 3 demons was pretty much pure luck too. After fruitlessly chasing his glitchy ass all over the system, I finally just got fed up and flew back to the planet, found him, and just started shooting at him from long range. Eventually he started shooting back, and killed me at precisely the same moment that I killed him, opning Hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Whew! The XP bug I will look into. There were a few situations that this could happen due to a bug in the weapon code, which were solved, but there may be more.

Basically, you get credit (rightly) for crossfire of enemies, since this can be a nice technique for killing swarms. But really this shouldn't happen on the other side of the planet. I will figure out what's going on. Thanks for the report!

As for demon battles, they can be a little bit nutty at times as the AI patterns are autogenerated. Particularily the final battle in hell can be disorienting as you will be auto-warped to other sectors. I tried to pace things out so that it was managable, the secret I think is just to deal as much damage as possible.

However, if you can't pick up the unknown energy source, that is a serious bug that I need to fix. I'm going to look at these issues today, I seem to have gotten the server problem fixed last night.

Thanks for your bug reports!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:33 pm 

Yeah. All the demon fights are a bit crazy, what with that ability they seem to have to just warp you in random directions.

With the first two, it was just a neat challenge, but with the 3rd it really seemed to just freak out. I couldn't actually seem to chase the thing down and get a bead on him, the most I'd get is seeing images of him flickering across the screen so fast I'd see multiples.

At least until I decided to change strategies and head back to the planet, and then suddenly he was just sitting there in plain view.

I guess he was in two places at once?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:05 am 

I was playing with this today, and I think I know what's going on. Basically, it's a physics bug. The final boss battle is, indeed, supposed to be fairly disorienting but what's going on is basically, late in development I increased the collision repel factor so that collisions with spaceships and snowballs/boulders/etc. would feel better, which they did!

But, for some reason, likely due to the sheer size of the demons, this collision factor is just way, way too huge. So when you get close to them, if you touch them, they just bounce you forever, which should not happen.

So this isn't a major problem to fix, actually! I have an update planned which should fix this, as well as other problems, and also have some slight enhancements.

I think the crossfire/XP situation probably was just some monsters getting a little bit nutty on the other side of the planet, which happens from time to time.

Anyhow I'll try and get this update ASAP, maybe as early as the end of this week though more likely early next week. Thanks for your patience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:05 am 

Only bummer now is, I logged off last night after being unable to name the "Unknown Power Source", and now it's not there anymore.

I can't complete the quest now it would seem, which is unfortunate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 am 

Yeah, I somewhat understand what's happened but save that character because it might be fixed in the next release. Basically, I wanted to make it so that even if you died after killing the final boss, you could just go and collect the final treasure. This is actually quite a bit more work than just making so that you have to go back and kill the boss again, but I thought it would be beneficial! Oops! =)

Check your inventory, that it's not in there. If it's not, well, I'll see if I can fix it for the next release. Thanks for your patience, I think that all of these bugs (except the XP bug, which I think might just be some weird crossfire situation) should be fixed for the next release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:33 am 

Nope, defintely don't have it. Ah well. Always another game. I actually hadn't expected the main quest to take so little time.

One more bug though, both times I've bought new ships, the game has crashed when I left the shop, and dropped me to a debugger message. It's been a night or so since the last one so I can't recall what the error was exactly. next time I've got the cash, I'll go nab a new ship and see if I can get it to do it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:46 am 

Oh, re: purchasing a new ship -> game crashes, that should definitely not happen. Thanks for the report, I can look into that as well. A screen shot would be helpful, too.

What version of windows are you running? (I assume XP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:47 am 

XP Pro OEM Edition to be most precise, but yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:02 pm 

Whew, unfortunately I wasn't able to get to this stuff last week and ended up having to go to my other job early this week, but this morning I've gotten cracking at some of these. The final boss AI is getting a fairly major overhaul, there are certain problems with targetting and the circles of hell because they move so fast, but a lot of other stuff has also been fixed. Just a status update!