PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:40 am 

The title says it all; I am getting the infamous black screen of death. I saw other forums like this, but y computer skills are limited to double clicking and internet usage, so i have no idea how to fix the error, even with the instructions in the other forums. So, basically I click the icon, it starts up, screen turns black...boom. Desktop. There isn't anytrhing on the task manager, so the game crashed and there was no warning message. I have a windows XP, and If you can fix my problem, make the instructions...detailed, I honestly need to know where to go to get to settings... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Heya! Thanks for the bug report =) If you click on the start menu and go to programs, there should be a folder for Venture the Void. There's a setup tool that will let you change settings (on the "Video") tab. Try turning off full screen. This has helped some people. Unfortunately, I think that it's probably a compatability with the program that I haven't yet fixed =(

If you were able to email me (psysal@gmail.com) the file trace.txt, which is in the folder "\Program Files\Venture the Void\", it might help me to diagnose further what's going on. That is basically a program trace and contains a bit of information as to when the program crashed and what kind of graphics card you have.

Most likely though, this is a known issue with non-NVIDIA graphics cards that I haven't fixed yet! Right now, it's very high on my priority list to fix this. Sorry about the black screen of death, but thanks for giving it a shot!

Calvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:51 am 

Well, now that i changed the screen, it gives me amini black screen of death. I also have a Nvidia card, which is good so that i don't have THAT problem. Also, I am not quite sure how to sent the file, the one ou wanted me to email. I'll look more closely, and send it to you if i figure it out before you reply.

Say hi to Hobbes for me :D

P.S. That's a calvin and hobbes joke, if you never heard of them, carry on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:37 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I heard of 'em! =) Since I was about 10 hehe. I had a pet tiger as a kid too. Um, to send me the file, fire up your email program and go send attachment. Then choose the file from your "\Program Files\Venture the Void\" folder, it's called "trace.txt" or just "trace". Just email it to psysal@venturethevoid.com. Thanks for the bug report!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:52 pm 

Okay, I sent it to you...I think. You never can tell with hotmail... :?

It took several minutes to even FIND the Venture the Void file, it ended with me double clicking the game icon (which the browser selected, so I deleted that selection [for the attachment]) Which brought up the VtV file. YIP YIP! So, if you get the file, I did ti right. If you dont get it, it's hotmail's fault. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:11 pm 

i think it's just a graphic card driver problem.

download and install latest drivers, that should help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:51 pm 

what kind and from where? Also, are they free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:05 pm 

Head on over to:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

From there, choose Graphics Drivers, then the kind of card you have, and then your operating system (Windows XP). Then just download and install! Hopefully this helps, I hadn't thought of it =)

Calvin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:50 pm 

thanks- by the way, (yes, I am NOT comoputer savvy) where do I go to see what kind of graphics card I have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm 

Right click on the desktop, and click properties. Then go to the settings tab and it should say something like:

Display:
Plug and Play Monitor on NVIDIA GEFORCE 440

or something like that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:36 pm 

YEESSSSS!!! THANK YOU!-crap, the game screen doesn't fit on my computer moniter. I am happy it RUNS...but it doesn't fit. If there was a going crazy emoticon, it would be here. This will do :twisted:

So, what do i change to make the game fit? :lol: with as many questions as I have bee asking, you might as well make a help chat for this site.

I just edited this because all of a sudden I can't play the game. I'm guessing the trial vesion is per-opening? I had accidentally opened it 3 times when I thought it wasn't working, come to find out it was, then again when i updated my driver and when I discovered that the game scrren was too big, I closed it to come here. Now, it says I have used up all my trial time and have to pay for it, when all I have seen is a menue! Is there a way i can get at least ONE more trial? And it may be a good idea to make your game trial period by hours, not by enteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:48 pm 

Doh! That's weird, it's not by entries, it is by gameplay time. I have it set to four hours (I thought) since that seems to be about right for people. But I'll check it tonight!

To make the game screen fit, you can either run in full screen (go back into the setup tool again) or else change the resolution (again, in the setup tool).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:05 am 

Thanks. I'll try a completely new download, but then again I would assume that my play time is recorded via my account, so if there was an error, it is suddenly on my account. Well, I'll notify you if I manage to get the game up and running, and I would also like to know how the process of buying this works- basically, does a disk come in the mail, or is it a download that can be downloaded an infinate number of times from then on.

Well, I'll get back to you on the error issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 am 

Had a check, and your trial account hasn't actually run out. So a new download won't help... I had a check, and something (probably relating to the crash) confused the server into thinking you were already logged in. So anyhow, I just restarted the server and it should be fine now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:49 am 

So THAT'S why my download was crashing...as you did that, I attempted a new download...it crashed EVERY SINGLE TIME. It would get to the "decompressing-please wait" portion that takes a while-ctrl+alt+del, 0% CPU Usage. It wasn't doing anything :( Anywho, I'll try again. BTW, is it supposed to say "skipped" on every single line in the installation proggress box?