Post subject: Black on black text
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:16 pm 

Most text in pop-up windows in the game displays black on black. In some key areas I've found a way to make the text go white (in the mail reader, for example, the text goes white if I hover over the cargo icon), and I can usually figure out what to do even when I can't read the text. But the fact remains that about half of the text in the game is unreadable, and another quarter only legible with much squinting and staring.

As an example, right on the first config screen, the text is all black except for the OpenGL version (2.0.3), my video card info (GeForce 7600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!), and the sound effect volume percentage. I can make out the settings on the top half of the screen fairly well, since the background there is purple. But the bottom half, where the background is a starfield, I can only make out by cranking the gamma up to a hideous level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:14 pm 

Hmn, okay. This is definitely weird! If you could email a screenshot to psysal@venturethevoid.com it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a few suggestions right off that bat:

- Try disabling/enabling compatability mode. You have to do this via the setup tool, it should be enabled by default.
- Try upgrading your graphics drivers. This does sound like it could be a driver issue. You can get more recent drivers at nvidia.com.
- Try disabling/enabling fullscreen mode, and try different desktop color resolutions. This is kind of a pain, I know, if you like to play the game fullscreen it would sort of suck to have to play in a window.

I'm in the process of getting additional hardware to improve compatability for future versions. Normally the game runs fine on NVidia cards, though there was once a problem similar to what you are describing relating to a particular driver version. If I improve hardware compatability for other graphics platforms (right now I'm focused on intel 950G) it might improve for other platforms as well.

Thanks for the bug report! This is not a problem I've seen before.

Calvin

Post subject: All better now
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:00 pm 

Turning off compatibility mode produced the "blocky text" problem others had described. Upgrading my drivers (they were about a year old) fixed things, with or without compatibility mode.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:21 am 

Ah, awesome! Now, I do have one other question which is have you been able to log in? The server is still showing me messages saying that your password/username don't match. Basically, just use the setup tool to set your password to whatever it is for the website. If you don't know it, let me know and I'll either reset it to something you choose or email it to you. I need an automated password emailer function...

Anyhow! Hope you're enjoying the game =)