Post subject: Cannot run game.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:00 am 

When I go to run the game, it changes the mouse pointer for a few seconds and then the screen turns black for one second. Afterwards, the desktop is normal, as well as the mouse pointer, and seems as though the game hasn't run at all. I did notice right after the screen blacked out that the window for the game on the task bar appears a disapears within less than half a second. I would like to know how I can run the game properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:40 pm 

Hmn, it sounds a little bit like there might be a problem with the error reporting mechanism; it should give you a little dialog box telling you basically the problem. However it would be super helpful if you could email me the file trace.txt in the folder you installed VtV to, with that I can probably tell you what the problem is.

My email is:

psysal@venturethevoid.com

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:31 pm 

:( I've got the same problem :(
:!: HELP ME Please :!: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:34 am 

I have the same issue with 1.1.4 on a clean install.

Game starts, the opens quickly with a window titled SDL_app, then closes.

I've emailed the trace.txt to psysal@venturethevoid.com but not heard anything yet.

The tail end of it says:

trace: try video mode: vendor is Microsoft Corporation, renderer is GDI Generic
trace: try video mode: throwing out screen mode because it seems to be software rendered
trace: try video mode: trying to set screen BPP 32, depth size 16
trace: --- w 1024, h 768

and that's it... would love to know why it's not running and how to fix this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 pm 

It appears that this is no longer supported...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 am 

Heyy! I am still alive. My paying job has been unbelievably busy lately but this has been on my mind. Quick answer, check your GL drivers and/or your graphics card. Do you play other 3D games? If so, you should be able to play VTV but you might need to upgrade your graphics drivers. Do you know what kind of graphics adaptor you have installed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:16 pm 

I run all of the new stuff fine. Running an ATI 1900XT with the current 8.1 driver.

Maybe it's a gl setting somewhere? It's really a tough one to track down because I don't see anything that would cause this. I've been able to run other opengl and d3d games fine and have a pretty decent system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:10 pm 

Should definitely work. What's happening, and I can't tell why, is it's only finding software-rendered graphics modes. Are you running full screen or windowed? I'm not sure if I've suggested it yet, but here are a few things to try:

1- Use the setup tool to enable/disable fullscreen mode
2- Use the setup tool to change resolutions
3- Try changing your desktop color depth to something like 16bpp.

I'm going to see if there is a better way to detect video modes. I need to solve this for any other project I want to do, since I use the same platform (SDL+GL) to develop all my games; there must be a "proper" way to do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:45 am 

Have tried all of that without success. Still get the same messages in the trace log.

Did anything change between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 with regards to how VtV checks the screen stuff?

If not then I suspect an ATI problem... ugh. Maybe I'll try the Linux version and see if I can get it working in Ubuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm 

Hey, give the Linux version a try! Actually the Linux version is the "real" version, the Windows one is a port. Nothing's changed between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 in terms of how graphics modes are detected.

I did find a forum post about ioquake giving the same problem, and it uses SDL/GL. The jist of it was that, yeah, it was something with the latest ATI drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 pm 

Update for you.

Tried the new 8.2 cat drivers from ATI and still no luck. Have not had time to install under Ubuntu yet but plan to give it a go this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 pm 

Run like a champ under Ubuntu. :)

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 with the ATI restricted drivers. Installed as root, fired it up and running very smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm 

And... almost a year later and here is what I've found.

This game doesn't like the ATI version of OpenGL which is a shame. I've run this under Nvidia cards on the same machine with no issues. Swap to an ATI card and the game wont even load.

A bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 pm 

Nuts. I have had some difficulty with ATi cards but I thought more or less it was working. Is this only under linux or under windows, too, or do you know?

One of the reasons it works better with NV cards is likely that NV support for linux seems better, so I always purchase NV cards, so what gets tested. =(

The other thing I should do is use something called GLEW, which didn't exist when I started VtV. This would be a fairly major fix, basically it "wrangles" extensions for GL. It might get the game working on ATi.

Sometimes, for instance, you can find the extension as glVertexBufferARB and other times it might be called glVertexBuffer, or even glVertexBufferNV or something like that. It's the same method in all cases and does the same thing but changes from driver to driver. My hope would be that "GLEW" (GL extension wrangler) would sort this out, although I can't be sure of that, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:10 am 

This is strictly in Windows. Getting this to run under Linux has always been easy for me.

Thought I would at least post something about it because I know you have other projects you work on and it might help you in the future.

The earlier versions of VtV did not have this problem. I know it was an issue with 1.1.3 and the current version though.