Post subject: Lost in Space
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:44 am 

I've only played about 1.5 hours and I like the potential of this project. However I have some gripes that your likely aware of but I feel must quickly be addressed.

travel time is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
way to long.

Warp speed needs to be about 2 - 4 times faster. I understand that you are trying to give players a since of the scale of the game universe, yet there is a point when reality must give way to gameplay. I've been only playing for about an hour and most of it has been travel time... aka go make a sandwich, pour a nice cup of tea, read a book like War and Peace time.

I like how players can see everything that they are passing... sorta... but seeing and interacting are two different things. I want to see and make things happen in this interesting universe you have created. So please increase the warp speed.

Also, I hate that annoying quest reminder that lingers lovingly at the bottom of the screen. When I first got the quest it helped lock my next mission into memory, but after about 10mins of reminding I was ready to shoot it.. or myself. JK

Finally, there needs to be a clear contrast between all text and it's background. There are some parts of the hud that has the black and white background which makes reading the text above it nearly impossible. I like the story your building up and I'd enjoy it more if I could read it more easily.

OK *rant off*
As an Indie dev mayself working on my own space exploration game, I am impressed and I like how you manage to suck players into this universe you have created. The player vs player mechanics is something new that will take only a little bit of time to get use to untill there is a way to include direct interactions, but I completely understand why it is what it is.

Also, I like the realtime planetary entry and exit which is something I've included into my own project. There is much more that I like and even more that I feel I will like once I get a chance to experience it. So in the mean time keep up the good work and congrates on the 1000 cadets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 am 

Hoom! Travel too long eh? Do you mean interplanetary travel only? That can probably be still jacked up. I have jacked it up quite a bit from how it used to be. =)

A menu option to turn off the quest reminder is in the works. It was a neccesary evil because without it players just had no idea what to do.

Can you give me a few examples of the HUD text that is hard to read. I find the ship descriptions can be hard to see when it's against a white background but so far it hasn't bothered me too much, maybe you are thinking of something else.

Thanks for your suggestions and encouragement! Suggestions really, really do make a difference and anybody reading this, don't hold back =) It's true that I rarely implement a suggestion directly (I do that too though) but very often I synthesize them into something which addresses the same issue but is either easier to implement or whatever. =) Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:11 pm 

Just a small update, the white-on-white text thing you are seeing is actually probably due to a bug, what is going on is the game required that cards be able to handle rectangular textures. The upcoming release should look better. I'm actually working on implementing better travel times right now, at least interplanetary ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:00 pm 

eeeeh... if i can ask, is that a WARP?

NO!

cos it's 43km/s, so less than 1/9998 speed of light, isn't that?

look at it from realistic side-if was a real world the warp from system to system would take about 50 years (or 500, 5000 not important), so our character wouldn't reach it alive (if it would be 50 years he would, but he wouldn't return alive).

warp should be like hyperspace jump (no speed, immediate transfer), and the way that can be done should be depending on the ship level (so better ship=longer jump range).

Last edited by Comm4ndo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:31 am 

Tee hee, I know. Well, the interstellar warp is a jump, right =) But the interplanetary one is a continuous travel. I wanted the player to feel the system was connected to itself. But I know what you are saying, and it does make sense. Anyhow the gameplay mechanics at this point depend too heavily on the interplanetary travel working how it does (i.e., the AI that flies ships between planets, etc.) But I like the idea of immediate jump, too...

Post subject: Re: Lost in Space
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:15 pm 

Shadowlight wrote:
I understand that you are trying to give players a since of the scale of the game universe, yet there is a point when reality must give way to gameplay.

actually you're wrong. For me it seems to be very, very tiny, cos when I can cross it with 43 km/s it means that universe is not much bigger than Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:39 am 

Well, it's both sort of true. It's very big for a game (at least once you count the detail level), but in terms of real interplanetary distances, yeah, even the Sun is like a small meteor. Still, I am trying to convey the connectedness of the star systems, which I think is cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:59 pm 

Hi,
I have only been playing since version 1.0.1 so i do not know how much has changed from previous version.
But i am very pleased with how travel is right now in this 1.0.1 version. When i warp from one planet to another on in the same system i realy feel like the system is big.
I specialy like it when on a planet that i can see other planets in the same system, and what is even cooler that you can travel to them and visit the surface :)